6 Half Mile Road
THE CAPTAINS HOUSE, 1954
3 Bed | 2 Bath | 2,151 sqft | 1.140 Acres
Reflecting the idealism and optimism that characterized the modernism of the 1950s, Architect Roy S. Johnson’s design here clearly reflects his apprenticeships with Frank Lloyd Wright and Edward Durell Stone using post and beam construction, dramatic jutting roofline, remarkable stone fireplace and walls of glass. Making the most of the natural light throughout the day, Johnson beautifully sited this architectural beauty on a knoll overlooking the surrounding woods, and green space for play. Franklin L. Geiffert, a student of Johnson, later incorporated a second floor allowing for extended family living, establishing a first-floor bedroom suite. “The Captain’s House” named for its subtle nautical references is a nature-rich principle of mid-century design and a truly remarkable architectural residence. Welcome Home!